- Included in Our Services
- Net Zero
- Pearl Certification
Deep Energy Retrofits
A deep energy retrofit is a whole-building analysis and construction process that uses "integrative design" to achieve much larger energy savings than conventional energy retrofits. Deep energy retrofits can be applied to both residential and non-residential (“commercial”) buildings.
We at Better World Builders see houses as a interconnected system. Just like us, people. Well functioning system leads to healthy life, with houses a well functioning system leads to healthy house.
The total system will be inspected and diagnosed, focusing on your living space, attic, basement or crawl spaces, performing a number of computerized tests, and reporting on the current conditions in your home, including the following:
- Health and safety (carbon monoxide levels and moisture problems)
- Insulation levels
- Air Filtration Rating (aka Blower Door, which is used to measure air leaking in and out of the home)
- Thermal imaging (infrared thermography)
- Domestic hot-water system efficiency
- Heating system efficiency
- Cooling system/central air conditioning efficiency, if applicable
- Gas leak tests on pipes/equipment
- Detailed report and proposal on ways to reduce utility usage and increase comfort
Then we use the findings to develop proposed improvements with estimated costs and energy savings leading to deep energy retrofits. We work with you to come up with a plan for improvements that fits your budget and your house.
For more information on Deep Energy Retrofits, check out our Comprehensive Home Performance Energy Audit.
Please note that this is not a separate service.